An Historical Overview of St. Andrew’s Church
In 1742, The Rev. Colin Campbell, a missionary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel (SPO), was called to MountHolly from Burlington to preach to a small group of families at St. Andrew’s Church located on Iron Works Hill. From those early days until the present, St. Andrew’s Church has served the spiritual needs of the community of MountHolly and the surrounding area. There follows below an abbreviated history of the church and the congregation.
1765, October 28 Incorporated under Royal Charter of George III
1776, December Revolutionary Battle of Iron Works Hill
1786 Second church built on Church Street
1844, April 24 Cornerstone laid in third church on High Street (present building)
1845, March 27 Consecration of third church building
1850 Construction of wood frame structure for Sunday School behind church building.
1859 Influential parishioners petition to form a new church, permission was granted and TrinityChurch was built.
1879 Construction completed on Dobbins Family Memorial Chapel in Graveyard on Iron Works Hill
1880 Major renovations to church interior including east window, enlarged chancel, space for organ and vestry room
1884 New Rectory constructed on High Street and old rectory on Garden Street sold.
1891 Rededication of church building
1900 TrinityChurch closed and congregation returned to St. Andrew’s. With the merger of the two congregations, a number of valuable items were brought to St. Andrew’s including the Malcolm Coppuck Font (in use today), the Tiffany style stained glass window (southeast corner nave).
1924 Exterior renovations to church building
1928, Lent Dedication of “God’s Saints” communion set, forged from the
Communion Plate from Trinity and old silver from St. Andrew’s. Set is still used at Sunday 8AM Eucharist Service.
1930 Interior renovations including installation of reredos and new altar, Harris Cox Memorial Window.
1934 Vestry established Investment Committee to invest and monitor accounts and legacies
1939 Installation of 7 stained glass windows in the nave of the church, gift of Edward B. Levis.
1942, April 26 Celebration of the 200th Anniversary
1953, June Dedication of new Parish House
1967, April 2 Celebration of the 225th Anniversary
1974 Preservation Fund established by the Vestry
1977, December Memorial Westminster Chimes Carillon dedicated
1983, June Yoke Ministry established between St. Andrew’s and St. Martin’s, Lumberton. Diocese discontinued ministry in 1988.
1985, February First woman elected to the Vestry
1991 Young women began to serve as acolytes
1991 British canon ball found (authenticated) in Graveyard during electrical excavation project.
1992 Celebration of the 250th Anniversary
1994 Publication of the History of St. Andrew’s Church 1742-1992
1995, March 22 Rededication Celebration of 150th Anniversary of Consecration of the Church building
1999 Initiation of Y2A Program for youth in the Parish including Rite 13
2000, April Market Place 29 A.D. started as part of ChurchSchool programs
2002, May Kick Off Celebration for Capital Campaign for Restoration Project
2004, September Homecoming Service at completion of Restoration Project and return to services in the church
2005, January Dedication of new digitalized bell system to replace the 1977 Carillon
2006, June Rectory on High Street sold, proceeds invested to fund Rector’s Housing Allowance.
For 264 years the church has been a source of inspiration and help to the community. For 161 years, the present church building has served the congregation well. For 53 years the Parish House has provided educational and meeting space for the congregation and Mount Holly/Burlington County organizations. Through the many changes in its physical structure and alterations to the format of the services, the ritual has been relatively unchanged from that of the early days of the Society of the Propagation of the Gospel. St. Andrew’s Church is posed in this new century “to continue the mission of spreading the Gospel and bringing the Good News of Christ’s love to all.” (St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church 1742-1992, p. 84).